Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hiking or Riding Mini Journal Update

Huff, huff, that's me blowing the dust off of the blog posting! LOL! I know I've neglected posting updates, but that doesn't mean I haven't been creating. Let's get to it!

The mini journals are approx. 4"x4" size. These are my first run, first time making this type of journal. As part of the functional art guidelines I have, this journal should be user friendly and yet be a work of art. So I took a regular size paper and divided it into thirds, like folding it to put into a business size envelope. The paper used is a handmade faux dark brown leather, it's one of my favorites! Then I played with a few ideas of paper combinations until something suited me. Now, what kind of lacing? I had some black leather cord I knew to use, and decided on trying a zig zag formation, like three mountain peaks. Played with that a bit, I was smart this time and made a template of how to measure the holes to punch and to figure out the lacing. I secured the lacing by using a crimp tube for necklace making on the back of each journal. Who knew I would actually use some geometry in my art projects, I really did use my protractor for the template! (Draftsman I'm not, but I can get by). Gold parchment paper was used for the pages, and I hand cut all sheets. As the booklet was forming, I felt like it needed a real leather border, so I got some of the Tandy leather scraps bag with black leather. Experimented a bit with measuring leather strips and got a leather border glued on each of the three journals. This is one area I will do a little different on the next set of journals. I like the look, but my gluing skills are a little rough. As a result, the inside covers with the leather borders looked rough, so I added a silk paper liner inside to cover up the leather gluing process. Figured that was a smart move on my part, LOL!!

Now for some pictures showing the process of creating the paper journals and binding:


Next post, the choosing of the beads and theme of each journal!

No comments: