Wednesday, September 9, 2009

WIP continue Horse in Bright Grassy Field

In continuing this series of work in progress painting, the next step was setting up a composition grid. I take some tracing paper and outline the reference pic border, then find the exact center (so I know where to keep the painting focus away from.) I prefer to break into quadrants and then break the pic into horizontal thirds. Pretty much the classic rules of composition. Once that is done, I can then see where the subject focus (large tree on left, centerish trotting horse and background trees right) are to be drawn in position.

Composition grid layover of larger ref pic 

Next is to free hand draw the composition onto my painting board size of 5” x 7”. Why free hand, when I could just manipulate the pic in Photoshop to the size I need, and then just trace it onto the board? Because I want to do this to sharpen my drawing skills and train my eye to follow composition positioning. Sure it takes longer, and I have to erase a bit and start again sometimes, but I find it much more satisfying as an artist. I then create a composition grid on tracing paper for the 5”x7”, figure exact center and the horizontal thirds. Then the sketch begins freehand after marking the grid essentials on sketch paper. And here's the result:

Compositon grid paper on larger sketch

Composition grid of 5 x 7 freehand sketch

 

Ok, I then trace the composition using transfer paper onto the aquabord and now I’m ready to start painting. The first color layer goes in, I tend to push the darks first and leave the light areas white to see how that looks first.

First color layer on board

Close up of first color on horse

After a few reviews, I decided I need to erase some lines on my horse and large foreground tree. This aquabord is super easy to erase mistakes on, I love it! After the lines are tightened up, I then add some more color.

Progress w color treeline

And compared to the reference pic:

Progress second color w ref pic

So I’m pretty happy with most things right now, but I am honing in on what needs to be changed abit.  So the next blog post will be more along what I can tweak, the real “meat” of painting which I love!

No comments: